Airy disk

An Airy disk is the central bright circular region of the pattern produced by light diffracted when passing through a small circular aperture. The central disk is surrounded by less intense concentric rings, so light intensity takes local maxima and mimina while it decreases away from the center.

(Image source: UCLA Brain Research Institute(external link))

The size of an Airy disk depends on the WaveLength of the light and the size of the aperture. (It also depends on the distance from the aperture, but in this context it is usually measured at the focal plane of a lens). Thus, if the aperture is the objective of a Fluorescence Microscope with Numerical Aperture NA, the radius r of the Airy disk (the distance between the central maximum and the first minimum) at the focal plane is

r\ =\ 0.61\ \frac{\lambda} {\text NA}

Using dimensionless coordinates, the radius of an Airy Disk is 3.83 Optical Units. About 84% of the total light intensity is in the central disk, the remainder 16 % is distributed in the concentric rings.

An Airy disk is the projected image of a single point object in a microscope, so you can see it as the 'brick' component of the recorded image. It is the 'blur' of a single point source: adding all the blurs, you obtain a blurred image. See Image Formation.

Due to the nature of a Fluorescence Microscope the light intensity varies also along the optical axis Z in a similar way, so the 3D image of a single point is something like a 3D-Airy disk: a Point Spread Function.

In Confocal Microscopes, the Airy Disk is sometimes used as a unit to report the Pinhole Radius.

Link Disclaimer. External links are provided only as an informational resource. Please note that many of the links provided are not on one of the Scientific Volume Imaging servers and are not maintained by us or affiliated with any services provided by us. These links are provided simply as a service, and it should not be implied that we recommend, endorse or approve of any of the content at the linked sites.

Follow us

Upcoming Events

1)  Sun 29 of Mar., 2015 12:11 CEST
Huygens SVI present at FOM Gottingen. Booth 37
2)  Sun 29 of Mar., 2015 12:21 CEST
SVI at FOM 2015 Goettingen, Germany
3)  Thu 23 of Apr., 2015 09:00 CEST
Huygens imaging course April 2015
4)  Tue 19 of May, 2015 11:59 CEST
Huygens Workshops and Booth at ELMI 2015 Sitges, Barcelona
5)  Wed 10 of June, 2015 15:11 CEST
SVI at Advanced Microscopy and Vital Imaging Maastricht
6)  Tue 01 of Sep., 2015 15:21 CEST
Huygens imaging course September 2015

Contact Information

Scientific Volume Imaging B.V.

Laapersveld 63
1213 VB Hilversum
The Netherlands

Phone: +31 (0)35 64216 26
E-mail: info at svi.nl